EWS Certificate in Assam
EWS certificate is basically an income and asset certificate issued to the citizens belonging to the economically weaker sections of the society. Economically Weaker Section (EWS) is a new reservation sub-category under the General category; which came into effect from the year 2019.
The persons belonging to EWS Certificate who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs shall get 10% reservation in direct recruitment in posts and services in the Government of Assam.
To claim the benefit of 10% EWS reservation in any govt. job or admission in higher education, candidates have to essentially produce the valid EWS certificate issued by the competent authority.
Table of Contents
- 1 Eligibility Criteria for EWS Certificate in Assam:
- 2 Issuing Authority & Verifying Authority:
- 3 Important points regarding appointment by EWS category:
- 4 Documents to submitted for Income and Asset Certificate:
- 5 Authorities to issue Income and Asset Certificate:
- 6 Important Web Links of EWS Certificate:
Eligibility Criteria for EWS Certificate in Assam:
Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs and whose family has gross annual income below ₹ 8.00 lakh (Rupees Eight lakh only) are to be identified as EWSs for benefit of reservation.
Income shall also include income from all sources i.e. salary, agriculture, business, profession, etc. for the financial year prior to the year of application.
➢ Also persons whose family owns or possesses any of the following assets shall be excluded from being identified as EWS, irrespective of the family income:
- i. 15 Bigha of agricultural Land and above in rural area.
- ii. 1 Bigha of residential land and above in rural area.
- iii. 1.5 Katha of land in notified Municipal Corporation/Municipal Board/Town Committee Area.
- iv. House of built up area more than 1000 Sq.ft. and above in notified Municipal Corporation/Municipal Board/Town Committee area.
➢ The property held by a “Family” in different locations of different places/cities would be clubbed while applying the land or property holding test to determine EWS Certificate status.
➢ The term “Family” for this purpose will include the person who seeks benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years as also his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years.
Issuing Authority & Verifying Authority:
➢ The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by the Circle Officer or Circle Officer (A) of the Revenue circle where the candidate and/or her/his family normally resides.
➢ The Income and Asset Certificate issued by any one of the following authorities (given below) in the prescribed format (given below) shall only be accepted as proof of candidate’s claim as belonging to EWS:-
- The Officer who issues the certificate would do the same after carefully verifying all relevant documents following due process as prescribed.
- The crucial date for submitting income and asset certificate by the candidate may be treated as the closing date for receipt of application for the post, except in cases where crucial date is fixed otherwise.
➢ The appointing authorities should, in the offer of appointment to the candidates claiming tobe belonging to EWS, include the following clause:-
- ” The appointment is provisional and is subject to the Income and Asset Certificate being verified through the proper channels and if the verification reveals that the claim to belong to EWS Certificate is fake/false the services will be terminated forthwith without assigning any further reasons and without prejudice to such further action as may be taken under the provisions of the Indian Penal Code for production of fake/false certificate.”
➢ The appointing authority should verify the veracity of the Income and Asset Certificate submitted by the candidate through the certificate issuing authority.
Important points regarding appointment by EWS category:
In case all posts in State Government reserved for EWS are not filled up by candidates belonging to EWS category during the recruitment process due to shortage of eligible candidates, the balance posts will be filled up from candidates of unreserved category.
Persons belonging to EWS selected against the quota for persons with benchmark disabilities/ex-servicemen shall be placed against the roster points earmarked for EWS.
A person belonging to EWS cannot be denied the right to compete for appointment against an unreserved vacancy. Persons belonging to EWS who are selected on the basis of merit and not on account of reservation are not to be counted towards the quota meant for reservation.
Documents to submitted for Income and Asset Certificate:
➢ Following documents are must have to issue Income and Asset Certificate –
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Salary slip (if employed)
- Land revenue receipt (on verification by LM in case of farmer)
- Any Other documents (Any voter list, Gaon Burrah Certificate, Land Revenue Payment Receipt, etc.)
Authorities to issue Income and Asset Certificate:
➢ Following officers are officially authorized to issue Income and Asset Certificates
- (I) District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
- (II) Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- (III) Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar and
- (IV) Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides.
Important Web Links of EWS Certificate:
|Income and Asset Certificate Format||Click Here|
|EWS Certificate Format||Click Here|
|EWS Memorandum||Link 1 | Link 2|